A finite feeling, in a presumed infinite world

It's droll how the newspapers of the world which were once publishing articles upon articles about mankind's inventions, and today talking about the mass wipeout of the same mankind.
I think I don't need to write any further about what is causing this wipeout, for everyone, even the maid in my house who can't write her own name in her colloquial language, knows that it is indeed Co-vid 19 that's causing this mass wipeout.

It's spreading like wildfire indeed. Each country loses it's valuable citizens to a disease which has yet no cure. It's almost frustrating to look at a problem that science, logic or medicine can't cure. It's disappointing to look at people dying to something whose symptoms are just as the flu that my mother treats in her clinic. But whilst all this, it's completely terrifying to look at this phase of our world.

It instills a feeling in every human, which scream, humankind is so finite. So finite, that it is just a flu that is crashing the stock market, and ruining lives, and halting the progress and development of so much which was expected this year, and we can't do anything about it, to stop it.
It is this time, that power, wealth, money, pride all comes to a steeping drastic halt. Power or money can't prevent one from acquiring this virus. Awards and achievements are just another trophy we can stare at in our dusty libraries, for they won't save us as well.

I think growing up in the 21st century has never made me feel so helpless. Everything has always had a cure, everything has always been given in so much abundance to me, that if something is out of stock in my market, I know I'll find it on Amazon. I've seen so much growth and so much progress in every field, that I've never feared dying of a pandemic and never feared the ruin that a pandemic might bring to this finite universe. And I think that's what all of us feel today. Helpless. Because we have always thought of this universe as something so infinite.

Law has always sheltered a legal problem, medicine has always sheltered sickness, just like trade has always sheltered development. We're so dependent on technology, on everything being presented to us on a platter in gold, all our problems have always been solved because a third party has solved it for us. What about this? What about something that doesn't have a cure till now? What about something so strong that has the potential to wipe out 80 percent of the population in less than 2 weeks.

Your bank balance won't save you this time, and neither will your CV or your attendance. I've taken my board exams when this world was on a half shut down, thinking all the time while writing the exam, what if I don't even live to see how much I scored? I'll never know if it was half a mark, or a full mark that I lost. But the funny thing is. Neither will you.

Death is inevitable. It has to come, sooner or later. There was a time before us, and there shall be one after. And when that comes, tales of valour and courage will just be ashes in the soil. No one will remember what Muhammad Ali did, or how many martyrs died in a war, let alone you and me.

Think of small acts of kindness you did for someone, think about little habits you picked, think of all those things that for a moment made you feel so alive. Was it crying out loud to God? Or was it just closing your eyes and absorbing your own existence?  What will make you welcome uncertainty , that this virus brings with open arms? What will make you accept? What will make you, not fight this time, not look for a cure, but just look up at the open sky and know that tomorrow it might fall down on you?

Comments

Popular Posts