What if the only way not to feel bad was to stop feeling at all?

Lately I've read this book called 13 reasons why. I bet you've heard about it. It's been trending in the lives of the teenagers now a days. And even though I've never been one of those teenagers who'll follow the trend but the title of this particular show and book got me attracted. Something told me that this book would change how I feel about things. So I didn't wait any longer. And I decided that this book has to be read and the show had to watched.

Let me give you a brief background of this show. 13 reasons why is about a girl Hannah Baker. It's about how she was good to people, how she trusted people. But all the people did was turn their backs on her, reveal her most precious secrets. They lied to her, they were rude to her, they abused her physically and mentally, they nearly killed herself. But guess what? She was strong enough not to get killed by them because she killed herself. Yes, you heard it right. She suicided, she slit her wrists. And before she died she recorded 13 tapes. 13 tapes why she killed herself and why she was done with her life.

Hannah tried her level best to find a place for herself in this world. But when she couldn't she put on some of her old clothes, grabbed the razor blades she'd picked up from her father's shop, tried to remember every last reason why she should've lived. Sat in the tub, and slit her own wrists.

This is how I usually write my blogs. I first think of a topic which might have enough content. Then I read several articles, several quotes before I actually pen it down on Blogger. But you see for this blog, it came naturally. I knew I needed to blog about Hannah Baker, I knew I didn't need any references, any quotes for this one. Because it already had the depth. The topic was so important.

The clock had struck 1. There wasn't a hint of sleep in my eyes. I was glued to the laptop (don't judge) and all I was doing was watching the show. Believe me, it's just brilliant. It's one of the best shows I've ever watched. It's a show we need. It's a show not only the teenagers but the adults need too. To know what it's like outside, to feel what it's like to have no one beside you is difficult. Hannah and a million other people out there in this world want someone to trust them, despite whatever they've heard. And more than anything they want to be known. They want people to see the real them. They don't want to be judged.

I guess that's the point of it all. No one knows for certain how much impact they have on other's lives. They don't know how much every small word they say. Living in India, I've always been fascinated by High School life in foreign. The fact that you can bring phones, exchanging classes, cultural nights, prom, sophomore year, basketball courts, and other such facilities are just like a bunch of candies in a pinata. They're exciting to look at but they're not that fascinating when you actually have them. High School life in foreign is just like that. And I know my comparisons might not be that satisfying but you get a mere picture.

Peer bullying was always just another topic on my QCC survey which never got enough points to be elected as an important topic. But actually they matter a lot. When you're a teenager peer bullying, can be pretty bad. Peer bullying makes you hate yourself, it makes you not want to be yourself, it make you go against your own instincts, it breaks you, it makes you want to leave your own skin because you're not proud of yourself. If you listen to a song and it makes you cry what do you do to not cry? You quit listening to the song. But you can't get away from yourself. You can't get away from yourself. You can't decide not to see yourself anymore. You can't decide to turn off the white noise in your head.


13 people, 13 memories, 13 tapes, 13 days, 13 trusts, a few drinks, a few mistakes, a few secrets, a few flaws, bullying, social network, Liberty High. THEY ALL KILLED HANNAH BAKER.


-Vanya Duggal

Acknowledgements- Google images for the poster of 13 reasons why

Comments

Popular Posts