How Paras Hospital, Gurgaon fractured my faith in doctors

I am 12 years old. Today I want to share with you my experience of being a patient of Paras Hospital, Gurgaon. I had a fracture of my left lower leg on 4th July, 2015. We decided to go to a senior trauma orthopedic surgeon of Paras Hospital, Gurgaon for treatment. He was out of station and the irony is we waited 3 days for him to come back and mess up my leg. He came back on 7th July and operated me the same day. But even after being in the caste, the pain in my leg did not go away and the fever did not subside for 3-4 days. And this is where the story of neglect starts, which ultimately, as I now kind of understand is also the story of greed - doctor's greed and the hospital's greed.

The surgeon neglected my pain and fever and I was not given proper post-operative care. The surgeon said if I had fever, I should take anti-malarial medicine or maybe I had urinary infection (even though there was no catheter used). Because of his neglect, I landed up with major infection in my wound. Even then, he misled us and wasted a week, without telling us that the wound is so large that it would require plastic surgery. He wanted to do another surgery to put screws on my fracture and put some external contraptions. All to make more money for himself and the hospital.



It was by sheer luck that we consulted another doctor and based on this suggestion rushed to the plastic surgeon. This led to my second surgery to cover the would and a major cut on the back of my leg. Over the course of next 5-6 months, I was fed a strong dose of antibiotics to control the infection, got over 8 cannulas inserted into every possible vein on my hands and arms, went through at least 15 dressing of my wound, had to go through countless hours of pain and mortal fear of the next day and what it would bring. All for a few rupees more.

All this gave me an important life lesson - sometimes money is not everything. If you become a doctor act like one. I use firm language cause I mean it.  The helplessness I felt during that time, the scars on my leg, the pain and sleepless nights I went through are not worth the money that doctor made. 

Paras Hospital has given me enough pain. I got one foreign body pulled out without anesthesia. That doesn't show my bravery but the foolishness of the hospital. Proper medical guidance was never provided by the doctor. The 6 month journey which I went through could just have been a little less painful had the doctor been more humane and just taken me seriously. He may have healed several bones but I never knew what it is like. It is about time he  revised his books on medicine and ethics.
In a nutshell it was pathetic and I will never forget that hospital or that doctor.


- Vanya

Comments

Popular Posts