City Lights, City Girl

I can not roll into a ball of darkness and disappear
Light does that, but not it, the darkness
That will never be a concrete thing
Because shadows have taken that name

It does not live in a bulb that can be turned
On or off; light does that, and maybe with the lights on
there's a little less of it, or maybe not, maybe it's just a deeper
because that's all what City girls say right
That the brighter the light, the deeper the darkness goes

And it can't even hit a wall and then stop
because it's not a concrete thing, it's not. 

Never had she ever imagined that she'd run out of home. To all intents and purposes, I didn't fit at home after 9. Here, in New York the nights are beautiful. The lingering light was obliterated by the rapidly falling night. The once salmon and purple sky transformed into a vast expanse of jet-black that engulfed the town. A canopy of luminous stars materialized amongst the ocean of blackness. Some were dull, merely flickering into existence every now and then, but there was an adequate amount of shimmering stars to illuminate the dark, moonless night. The lake glistened, mirroring the dazzling assemblage of glittering stars and the luminescence from the restaurants and designer boutiques that lined the marina. The faint wind brushed against the water’s surface, the ripples ruffled the stillness of the surface, and shattered the reflection of the harbour. It was just all so beautiful. Most of all this seemed like a dream. Thoughts of Teddy, Mom and Dad obliterated my way of thinking or some time, but now everything is at par. It's just the City Girl in the City lights. The waves come and break every now and then at my feet, making the nerves in my feet tingle. 

The lights here in New York are so bright. Of course they're not brighter than the ones in the club Harry and James might be, but they definitely satisfy each of my breaths to an extent. It just all feels home. I'm in my grey sweater from H and M with my favourite black tights beneath and my ash gray low converse (which are on the rocks). 

Hi, my name is Alisia Lockwood but you can call me City Girl. That's what I'm generally called. The girl who'll roam with earphone out on the streets, the girl without an Iphone in her class, the girl without a boyfriend, the girl who'll always blend in with the Lights. Metaphorically and other ways it makes sense. I'm one of the girls who'll fit in every situation. The girl who is never affected by anything. There's barely nothing that takes my breath away. Yup, you heard it right. Barely. But City Lights, the water, the sand, beaches they all take my breath away, they leave me stunned. 

They probably are nothing are nothing alone, but all these things together are the best. They are all I need. Everyday seems new, even the same lights shining above building tops are amazing. They're so much meaningful that all of my life. The night itself can lived in to the most. A single night matters more than probably more than a year of days do. 

I've fallen
Again and again and 
again and again and 
again and again
and the only thing that's ever picked me up, the only thing that has ever made me realise that there's no one for you ever is the night. The night is the best time ever. 

High skyscrapers, pretty shops, shining pearls on the windows of the shops, Harrod's clothing they're all just nothing. Well daytime definitely will shine light on the weaknesses of your gold, the bronze in your silver plated choker, the torn holes in your tshirts. But the night? It's dark at night, so weather your choker is silver or you're wearing a tshirt you got off a pound store the night will conceal it all, engulfing you in an aura that's so soothing it'll make you smile. Not the needless, plastered fake smiles you show during the day but the ones that actually make you grin so wide that your denture might hurt. 

Designer skyline in my head, abstract and still well-read. 
I went from numbered lines to overhead. 

There are somethings in New York that make the sleep useless. The night light is one of them.  

(here's a glimpse of city lights clicked by me!)


-Vanya 
(inspiration- the rain this week which inspired me to click the picture above!)

Comments

Popular Posts