From what I was to who I am.

When I look back at my childhood days, I realise how much I've changed. How much my choices, my clothes, my speaking, my writing EVERYTHING. It's just become so much more complicated. Childhood was so much better. I was so much happier. Things were so much different. You could've been carefree back then in context to a lot of things like clothes, studies, and even eating.

You see, when I was younger I could wear anything. Short skirts, denim skirts but now my parents say the society isn't safe. Wear jeans, no crop tops without us, no short tops without a camisole beneath, no going to parties after 4 pm, be back after 8. Back then I didn't care. And when I was asked to change these things, it was weird. Even things in school changed. Now, if I'm sitting with my phone for too long I feel a pang of guilt in myself because I know I should be studying and not surfing or watching YouTube. Now, I'm cautious about what I eat, making sure what I'm eating is not too much of carbohydrates and fats.

I don't want to change these things. I want to hold on to every memory, freeze them in a box so that when my days are bad, when everything is going against my will I can open this box and sense the happiness I used to feel, the fun I used to have.

I feel all of myself changing. I want to be more independent, I want to be someone who'll forget everything that makes me want to smile faker, everything that makes me what to stand taller. I think most of what I'm saying here doesn't make any sense to anyone, but basically I want to forget that makes me cautious, I want to live carefree, I want to live happier, love truly, smile true, not shed crocodile tears, wear what I want, say what I want, and not hold myself back from anything. It's a small life, and if I spend my teenage life not doing what I want to do, I haven't lived a good 7 years.




My writing is what's changed me inside-out. I see everything so much more differently now. When I would watch a romantic movie when I was 5 when I would see people kissing I would have been like " Ewwwww. Shut your eyes,". Now romance is one of my most favourite and loved genres. I adore people kissing. When I look anything, my mind is already processing a mature story within. From faces, to bodies, to cuteness, to language, to personality, it's all changed. Everybit of me has changed. 

When I was younger, I would crawl and climb into my mother's lap and sleep. Today I lay alone on the bed, wishing the world were a little better. When I was younger I would have so much fun with mom and dad and today they're never happy with me, always hoping I could be a better person. 

My friends were so much different. When I was younger, fights never mattered. Today not accepting a follow request can result in the worst of fights, can create the biggest of barriers. This statement is assured. I myself have seen people shut their friends out because they don't have enough followers, I myself have been shut out because I ain't part of any social media. I wish things were never the same. I wish fights could have been forgotten. 

Today every teenager is part of the rat race. Who gets more points on Snapchat, who gets more followers on Instagram, who's Retrica turned out to be better, who tops the list of toppers in exams, who gets the new top that hung in H and M, who tried out the new filter in Snapchat. Most of it is just a mental concoction which is hampering every bit of us. But you see, childhood is not a race to see how quickly a child can read, write or count. Childhood is a small window of time to learn and develop at a pace which is right for each individual.

My best memories of childhood includes crossing the road with my dad. When I was small, and I would've been with my dad, my dad always hold one finger of mine and my finger would have been so small it would fit in his whole hand. And we'd cross the road. Whenever I'd walk with my dad on the road, even now he would always keep me towards the left side, his side facing the cars before mine. I can not think of any childhood memory as strong or as happy as a the need of father's protection.

Mark my words. Childhood memories are more precious than the oldest piece of porcelain in your crockery wardrobe. Your childhood memories are the timeless treasures.



-Vanya
(inspiration from my friend Nabiha's blog. Check her blog out at  tinyteenagetales.blogspot.in)

Share your childhood memories in the comment section!

Comments

Popular Posts