Just the night

The pulchritudinous darkness of that night was just breathtaking. The pitch-black curtains drape over night sky and the twisted warped shapes that the stars made against the sky, made me feel as if my existence was finally worth it. Sweet-smelled rain washed the sky, freckling the sky with stars. I'd never forget what the sprinkle of stars. But not because they're the stars, but because they're stars only when I'm with you.

The grass was still damp of the raindrops, shining like diamonds. The sky was still recovering from it's tears, so much was going on. I don't think I'd remember what it would feel to be under the night sky with the stars illuminating the stars. I'd only remember what it would feel like to be under the night sky with you. Because you made my existence worth it. My head was on your chest as we lay on the damp grass. You'd put your arm around my waist and I could feel your heartbeat against my head and I could shut my eyes and feel our heartbeats going in sync. And all the that mattered at that time was our heartbeats. We spoke. Not through words but just through the silence. We spoke so much more through the silence than we did through words. And you were the only one who ever realised that.

The wind blew fast. It was as if the pace of the wind accompanied the pace of my heart. I loved being here with you. Shutting my mind entirely till there was oblique darkness and staying with you. Everything was so quiet and peaceful. But then lightning struck. It came as a rip the inky night sky, as if behind the dark canvas was a brilliant light just waiting to flood through any crack no matter how small. I shut my eyes and hit behind your protection. You kissed my head just like you always do when we hug and I feel so warm, so protected as if you were my blanket of warmth. I loved you. And I'd never said it enough. And when I was too scared you might leave, just like this night might, you whispered in my ear- Don't cry if you're scared to lose something. Get moving so you can save it from getting lost.

The constellations in sky, the dampness of the grass, the lamp posts's flicker, all spelt perfection. We spelt perfection. So many questions, I needed an answer. Who held the stars up in the sky? Don't know. Did the captain of The Titanic cry? Might have. What ever happened to Amelia Earhart? Don't want to know. Is true love just once in a lifetime? Oh yeah sure it is.

-Vanya 

Comments

Popular Posts