To all the boys I've loved before

For most of you might have heard this as a book by Jenny Han, I for the first time watched the movie before I could read the book. Yes, I've heard about it- Love Lara Jean, and yes I'm going to buy it next month for sure, but I couldn't wait to write about the movie.

It's a Netflix movie which I watched on some "YesMovies". It's beautiful. The entire movie. Every dialog comes right from the heart as if it's trying to tell us to read the book. For those of you, to all the boys I've loved before is a movie about 11th grade Lara Jean who writes letters to all the people she ever had a crush on (AND I DID THE SAME!). But her sister lets those letters out as she doesn't want Lara to be single anymore.

The entire movie revolves around Lara who falls in love with Peter (who she also wrote a letter to), even though it was a pretend relationship so that Josh (who she also wrote a letter to) (and who was her sister's ex boyfriend) would never feel like the Lara actually liked him. And as predicted, since it's a Netflix movie, yes Lara and Peter fall in love.

I think the best thing about this movie was how I could literally see a Lara Jean in me. She was entirely me. She cared about the little things like her favourite scrunchie and she loved romance novels and she always wanted to have someone who cared about her, and loved her. She didn't want it to be JUST a fantasy.

She was a moving character. She didn't have her mother and her elder sister was off to college so her life was pretty much her dad and sister. But to be honest, I think I know how it was for her. Broken life, an entire life to handle, yet she still searched for love.
The best line of the movie  personally felt was "You can be mad at someone and still miss them"
To be honest, yes you can. You can be so vexed at someone and yet feel like they give you all the attention so that you don't be mad at them anymore. You can be so mad at someone and still want them to talk to you and convince you.

But why I really loved the movie was because I saw how Lara Jean accepted writing. No one stands by you. No one ever stays. It's only the small things in life. For some (like me) it's just a pen and paper, for some it's a whisk, for some it's a ball while for some it's a just a few sticks or strings. Because no matter how hard you search for love, I think we all can never find any truly. No one in this world ever has the time to think of you all the time, and miss you all the time yet be mad at you. It's how Lara accepted writing as a way of talking to someone else. As a way of telling someone how she really feels. Of replacing human contact with a few words on paper, it's a brave thing to do.  For believe me. I still am trying to do the same.

To all the boys I've loved before- I think you should get some nachos and popcorn :)

Comments

Popular Posts