And in the memory of all that is

I rubbed my shin, we started at each other.
"It's no good" I said "You have to go again."
"Go again?"
"To the barrier. And then I'll do what I planned, which is hold up my sign, then run towards you and we kiss and we start it all properly."
He started at me. "Seriously?"
"It'll be worth it. Go on. Please."
It took him a moment longer to confirm that I wasn't joking, then he began to walk against the tide of arrivals. Several people turned to stare at him, and someone even tutted.
"Stop!" I yelled across the noisy concourse. "That'll do!"
But he didn't hear me. He kept walking, all the way to the double doors- I had a fleeting fear he might jump back to the train.
"Rivan!" I yelled. "STOP!"
Everyone turned. Then he turned and saw me. And as he started to walk towards me again I ducked back under the barrier. "Here! Rivan! It's me!" I waved my sign and as he walked towards me he was grinning at the ridiculousness of it all.
I dropped the sign and ran towards him, and this time he didn't bash me in the shin but he let his bag fall at his feet and swept me up and we kissed like people do in the movies, fully and with absolute joy and without self consciousness and fear of coffee breath. Or perhaps we did. I couldn't tell you. Because from the moment Rivan picked me up I was oblivious to everything else, to the bags and the people and the eyes of the crowds.
Oh! God! But the feel of his arms go around me, the softness of his lips on mine. I didn't want to let him go. I held onto him and felt the strength of him around me and breathed in the scent of his US Polo deo against his skin, feeling like every cell of my body had missed him.
"Better, you insane person?" he said, when he finally pulled back so that he could see my face properly. I think my eyeliner must be half across his face. I almost definitely had stubble rash. My ribs hurt where he was holding me so tightly.
"Oh, yes," I said looking into his eyes. "Much."


Comments

Popular Posts