Lanterns of memories

"Just like legend says, we let love lead the way" 

Love may lead the way. But when there's none left. When you can't give me any, when you don't feel for me, will you help me light lanterns? We'll fly them, one by one.
One for each memory I lost. We lost.

The worst day of loving someone is when you lose them. When you have to bury their memory and engrave it on a rock with the birthday date always wrong. Or sometimes, even bury them in pages and burn them to ash. But to lose someone you love, to lose the hope of having a life with them. It's bitter. Bitter than anything horrible I've ever felt.

And here I stand, in the darkness. With no love left to guide my way. I'm lost and numb. But I have too many lanterns to light, too many memories we shared. So my love, will you lie with me just this night, quit everything, all the chores and light lanterns with me which we'll fly together and later lie on the grass, damp with the rain of my tears to watch the memories go away once and for all?
Will you stay with me just this once?

Will you hold my hand when we sit in the waters and watch the patterns of the light ripple in the ocean? Will you tell me that I held on to hope for a reason and let this hope fly away one last time as a helium balloon to light my dark night sky?

So today, we'll fly lanterns. Lanterns of love. The one I lost. Lanterns of hope. The one I let go of. The lanterns of memories. The one I still want to hold on to, but you lead my hand telling me it's time to let go. You hold my cold fingers and pull them back as the lantern flies away and then it's far away a star.

We all lose someone. Physically or mentally. And it's so disquieting. It's disturbing. But the emotional loss of losing someone, is the worst. Because they're still there, they're still somewhere. Just not yours. And when we light the last lantern, it'll be not for all the memories and the lost kisses and hugs and smiles and tears. But it'll be for us.

"For love might lead the way, but can you today?"

Comments

Popular Posts